ASIT Global Surgery Awards
Applications Now Closed for 2023
ASiT is pleased to announce its Global Surgery Awards for 2023.
The Lancet Commission on Global Surgery previously highlighted the gross deficiencies in global surgical care, with an estimated 5 billion people unable to access safe surgery when needed and an additional 143 million surgical procedures required annually to address this unmet demand.
To address this need, ASiT has introduced four awards of £500 each to go towards covering global surgery project costs including airline fares, accommodation and sustenance.
- ASiT member at the time of application
- Bursary amount will go towards covering the cost of global surgery projects broadly relating to surgical training in a low-resource setting (a low or middle income country [LMIC] as defined by the World Bank)
- Applications should be made for planned future projects (retrospective applications for completed projects will not be considered)
Please note: this prize is not for medical student electives (there is a separate ASiT Medical Student Prize).
Please email email@example.com with the following attached:
- Your name and ASiT membership number
- A summary outlining the specifics and aims of the visit or course (500 words maximum)
- Letter of support from a relevant supervisor or charity and, if available, the receiving institution that will be hosting you overseas
- Breakdown of anticipated expenses and the funding sources that will be used (other than this bursary)
- Summary of your CV (2 pages maximum) including any previous experience with global surgery
Applications will be scored according to merit and successful applicants will be notified shortly after the deadline and sent instructions on how to claim the bursary amount. All claims will be reimbursed retrospectively once proof of the visit or course attendance and receipts for expenses are provided.
Please note: The ASiT bursary must be acknowledged in any resulting publication, presentation, or other materials arising from this project. Bursary recipients are also expected to write a report for the ASiT Yearbook (the ASiT Yearbook Editor will be in contact to arrange this if feasible) and will be invited to share their experience in the ASiT Annual Conference prizes and bursaries session.
We look forward to receiving your applications.