PROMOTING EXCELLENCE IN TRAINING
ASiT is an independent body working to support surgical training. A growing membership has allowed us to keep our annual fee to a bare minimum and increase the number and variety of benefits which we can offer to surgical trainees and related groups. Your membership is essential to increasing the number and quality of benefits we can negotiate through maintaining and improving our mandate on:
- National and local training committees
- Specialty Advisory Committees
- The four Royal Colleges of Surgeons
- National organisations as the NHS and Department of Health
- Surgical training and examination committees as the JCST, JCIE and ICBSE
ASiT MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
- Cheaper surgical textbooks - we pass on the entire publisher’s discount (as much as 30%)
- Discounted subscription to journals (BJS, and Surgery)
- Discounted subscription to Royal Society of Medicine (20% off)
- Reduced rates or free places on many national courses (including highly successful exam courses for MRCS and FRCS preparation)
- Apply for Travelling Fellowships of up to £300
- Apply for Regional Events Grants of up to £100
- Apply for Surgical Training Bursaries of up to £500
- Apply for the Shorland Hosking/ASiT Operation Hernia Fellowship
- Submit an entry for the Foundation Doctors' Surgical Essay Prize
- Apply for Medical Student Surgical Elective prizes worth up to £500
- Other discounts and special offers
- A copy of the ASiT Yearbook – mailed to your home address in spring each year
- Email notifications for various events and opportunities (including our Annual Conference with a packed programme of key-note lectures, poster and oral presentations and social events)
£60 per annum
(discounted to £50 after submitting a direct debit thereafter).
Open to Foundation Doctors, Core Surgical Doctors, Specialty Trainees, Post-CCT Fellows, Research Fellows and Consultants.
Ordinary Members may be elected by the ASiT Council on the nomination of the Executive Committee from persons who have made an application to the Honorary Secretary. Suitable candidates shall have medical degrees with an interest in participating in a surgical training programme in a recognised surgical speciality. Such members shall receive without payment the publications of the Association and be entitled to attend scientific, general and annual general meetings of the Association and vote in connection with any business of the Association. Ordinary membership shall lapse after the expiration of two years from the date of their appointment to a substantive post as a consultant.
Medical Student Member
£40 per annum
Medical students can join ASiT at a discounted subscription rate. Please note that medical student members will be required to verify their university, student number, and expected year of graduation.